Subject: Green and red metallic beetle?
Location: Warm wet area/ texas
I found this bug in my living room. It had a black body with yellow legs and the body color in a flashlight is a emerald color. I hit it really hard on the floor with a thick hard yellow pages book. And when I thought I killed it, it took off running really fast and hid behind my TV Stand table. I got this really powerful roach and beetle killer but the insect didn’t die and kept running until it slowed down 8 minutes later. Please help.
Signature: Brook

image too blurry

Here is a better picture.

Tiger Beetle, we suppose

Tiger Beetle, we suppose

Dear Brook,
This might be a Tiger Beetle, and in our opinion, these beautiful beetles, which you observed look like emeralds, are much more attractive alive than dead.

Location: Texas

15 Responses to Tiger Beetle: Smashed then Sprayed to Death

1. Boo! What an awful thing to do to a living thing!

2. It’s too beautiful to kill. Use a tissue to pick it up and drop it outside. Do that for the ugly ones too. It’s not a question of beauty really.

3. Some people just don’t have it in them to value life.

4. Thanks for telling people the right way to pick up the bug. I hurriedly put down the tissue method I am currently using to pick up the many stinkbugs that are invading my house as winter approaches. Otherwise, I do use the method you describe, but with a different glass.

5. I think that maybe we are being a little too quick to judge. Many people do not know much about insects, and it is much better to teach rather than to criticize. Few people would be so angry if the insect had been a mosquito, cockroach or a yellow-jacket. We cannot pick to only care about the ‘beautiful’ creatures of the earth

Except for tagging this posting as Unnecessary Carnage, a classification which we believe is valid, the only judgement call the editorial staff of What’s That Bug? made was to respond that Tiger Beetles “are much more attractive alive than dead” and we continue to stand by that statement.

6. Steve says:

This is a Carolina Tiger Beetle, Tetracha carolina.

7. Lori says:

I have found that a paper towel roll with one end taped up is an excellent bug catching device. The bug crawls in, fold the end, and you can drop it outside. I never kill bugs found in the house. Can’t imagine what is wrong with the person who posted this terrible tale!!