Subject: Ant Lion
Location: Buderim, Australia
I just found this bug on our garage wall (under the house). I live at Buderim, Queensland, Australia. It looks like an ant lion or lacewing in the larval stage. It has debris attached to it’s body and when moved rolls up into a ball as much as possible. It is just over 1 cm long.
Signature: Stuthie

Antlion covered in debris

Antlion covered in debris

Dear Stuthie,
Your images are positively gorgeous.  We hope you don’t mind that we color corrected them.  This larval Antlion is quite distinctive in that it is covered in debris.  Antlions are related to Lacewings, and some Lacewing Larvae, aka Aphid Wolves, also cloak themselves in debris that is composed of the carcasses of their prey.  Those mandibles, those the jaws of death, do not seem what one would expect on Doodlebugs, a common North American name for Antlion larvae that await, buried at the bottoms of cone shaped holes, for all hapless ants or other creatures to fall into their clutches.

Gaping Jaws of a Doodlebug

Gaping Jaws of a Doodlebug

Location: Buderim, Australia