Subject: flying bug id
Location: eugene, oregon.
These things are everywhere here in Eugene Oregon. I thought it was a stink bug but they look bigger. I would like to know the name of the bug it is commonly known as.
Signature: jordan mccray

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Dear Jordan,
The reason this insect looks like a Stink Bug to you is that it is a Stink Bug in the family Pentatomidae, however it is not a native species.  This is a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug,
Halyomorpha halys, a species from Asia first reported in Pennsylvania in 1998.  According to BugGuide:  “Severe Agricultural and Nuisance Problems: PA-VA (Leskey-USDA 2011)  Native to E. Asia, adventive in N. Amer., detected in 38 states (2) and spreading…” and “Highly polyphagous, reported on ~300 plant spp. in its native range (3);   feeds mostly on fruit, but also on leaves, stems, petioles, flowers, and seeds. Damage typically confined to the fruiting structures.”  Though we do not endorse extermination, we haven’t much tolerance for invasive species and we have no problem crushing invasive Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs that find their way into our garden and office.  In our opinion, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug and the African Painted Bug, another Stink Bug, are two of the greatest threats to the agriculture industry that have been recently introduced to North America.  

Location: Eugene, Oregon

3 Responses to Brown Marmorated Stink Bug in Oregon

1. They’re everywhere here too – hamlet of Mulino, between Molalla and Oregon City – I’ve vacuumed up hundreds suddenly in the last few days. I think we’re screwed.

Here’s a good report from the OSU extension people:
    http://oregonstate.edu/dept/hermiston/sites/default/files/7_nwiman.pdf

2. glenda says:

how do you get rid of them they are killing my apple and plum trees, there in my house there every where . PLEASE HELP