Subject: orange and black butterfly
Location: Pantanal, Mato Grosso Brazil
taken in August 2014
Thanks, Bob
Signature: Robert Siegel, MD, PhD

"Naranjanita" or Bordered Patch

“Naranjita” or Bordered Patch

Dear Bob,
We initially thought that because of the pronounced labial palps, that this might be a Snout Butterfly in the subfamily Libytheinae, but we could find no similar looking members of the subfamily from Brazil in our initial search.  While we cannot confirm the subfamily at this time, we are confident that the Brushfooted Butterfly family Nymphalidae is correct.  We could not locate a match on Insetologia, our sister site from Brazil, nor did we have any luck on the Butterflies of Amazon & Andes.  Finally, we believe we found a match in the Bordered Patch,
Chlosyne lacinia, which according to the Butterflies in Brazil and Argentina at Iguazu Falls during Focus On Nature Tours site, is called the Naranjita and “has a very variable pattern. It prefers sunny places and feeds on nectar”.  The site also states:  “the Bordered Patch, the subspecies Chlosyne lacinia saundersi  This subspecies, in southeast Brazil and the Iguazu area, has more orange in the upperwings than other subspecies, hence the common name there of ‘Naranjita’. “  Now that we had a name, we did locate the Bordered Patch on the Butterflies of Amazon & Andes where it states:  “Males are usually seen either when nectaring at Asteraceae, or when imbibing mineralised moisture from patches of damp ground. Females when freshly emerged are so heavily laden with eggs that they are barely capable of flying.”  We have examples of the Bordered Patch from North America in our archives.

Bordered Patch

Bordered Patch

Dear Daniel –
Thanks!!!
You have come through for me again.
I’m hooked.
I told my class about the ID as well.
I will post another straight away.
Or is it better to email you directly?
All the best, Bob
Robert David Siegel, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Program in Human Biology, Center for African Studies, and Woods Institute for the Environment
Stanford University

Hi Bob,
Please send any new submissions using our standard form at Ask What’s That Bug?

Location: Pantanal, Mato Grosso, Brazil