Subject: Moscow Bug
Location: Russia
September 28, 2014 10:18 am
Hi there,
Hoping you can help identify this bug I saw, think it may be a moth larvae. I spotted it in a park in Moscow, Russia at the end of August. About three inches long, legs under body (unknown number) segmented and smooth body(no hairs or projections) and obvious head end. Saw it on the path next to grassland.
Thanks for any help
Elaine
Signature: Elaine

Beetle Larva, we believe

Goat Moth Caterpillar

Dear Elaine,
We get very few submissions from Russia, so we are thrilled to find we have at least one Russian reader.  We believe this is a beetle larva, and our best guess is that it is a Ground Beetle larva in the family Carabidae.  Caterpillar Hunters have large predatory larvae that look similar to the creature in your images.  We do not believe this is a caterpillar.
  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to supply us with more specific information.

Possibly Ground Beetle Larva

Goat Moth Caterpillar

Karl provides a correction:  Goat Moth Caterpillar
Hi Daniel and Elaine:
I believe this is a Carpenter Moth caterpillar (family Cossidae), probably a European Goat Moth (Cossus cossus). It is a little difficult to make out the markings on the front end, but they do appear very similar to a Goat Moth. A similar caterpillar ID request was submitted to WTB in 2009 from South Africa. Some information on the Goat Moth was provided in the response to that request. The behavior and size described by Elaine also match the Goat Moth caterpillar. These caterpillars do actually posses sparse, fine white hairs along their flanks, a feature that is just visible in Elaine’s photos. Regards. Karl

Thank you so much for your help, it’s really been ‘bugging’ me!
I have googled goat moth caterpillar and that is definitely what it was.
Thanks again
Elaine

Location: Moscow, Russia