Subject: yellow european moth
Location: Centre/East of Sardinia, Italy
Hi there bugman, my name’s Rossana, location Sardinia, East side, not in the coast but rather to thr centre of it.
Here is the moth I couldn’t identify through google. It is not, in my opinion, a leopard moth, since it is yellow rather than white. So who can it be?
Please let me know!
Btw, it was nice to find your site again after more than ten years! Congratulations, as it’s beautiful
Kind regards
Rossana
Signature: Rossana

Tiger Moth

Tiger Moth

Hi Rossana,
Common names can create some confusion as often the same name is given to more than one species, and sometimes one species can have more than one common name.  The scientific binomial system is much more accurate, and it eliminates confusion when one species has a range that extends across countries that speak different languages.  We suspect the Leopard Moth you mentioned is
Zeuzera pyrinaYour moth is a Tiger Moth in the subfamily Arctiinae, and we believe it might be Chelis maculosa which is pictured on Hants Moths.  Additional images can be found on Moths and Butterflies of Europe and North Africa.  Another possibility is Cymbalophora pudica which can also be viewed on the Moths and Butterflies of Europe and North Africa.

Location: Sardinia, Italy

3 Responses to Tiger Moth from Sardinia, Italy

1. Rossana says:

Hello there David, and thank you for your prompt reply.
    Yet I see you’re making a mistake with your first option, which may be due to some flikr pictures portraying this same moth, while giving it the wrong name. When I found them, too, to test the name I run a cross-search using Zeuzera Pyrina , and I found a totally different moth from the one I photographed! I suppose the mistake may be due to the fact this is a European/Northafrican Moth, not so known by anglosaxons 🙂
    In any case, yesterday I found the answer via the site of the Italian Entomologists. The right name is the one you mention, too,
    Cymbalophora pudica (Esper [1785]) – used to be classified as Arctiidae, now Aerebidae.
    I am glad we’ve found her name!
    Here’s the Italian site I’ve mentioned http://www.entomologiitaliani.net

Kind regards,
    Rossana Piras

2. Rossana says:

It’s Cymbalophora pudica