Subject: Cricket, Madagascar
Location: Ifaty, Madagascar
September 20, 2014 2:53 am
Another cricket from Ifaty in south west Madagascar – any ideas for id?
Signature: Niall Corbet

Ensiferan

Conehead Katydid:  Colossopus grandidieri

Hi Niall,
We believe this Ensiferan or Longhorned Orthopteran is a type of Katydid.  We are contacting Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki regarding both of your submissions.  The red eyes and blue legs are quite distinctive.

Katydid possibly

Conehead Katydid

Karl Provides Identification:  September 23, 2014
Hi Daniel and Niall:
It looks like the Conehead Katydid (Tettigoniidae: Conocephalinae), Colossopus grandidieri. The species is wingless but the dark coloration suggests that it is likely and adult. There really isn’t very much information available online for this species; what there is has been posted mostly by German breeders. The common name may be Giant Cricket or Tiger Cricket, both erroneous since it is not a cricket, and it is endemic to Madagascar, perhaps only the southern part of the island. The literature for C. grandidieri is very sparse and there seems to be some confusion or ambiguity between this and a related species, Oncodopus zonatus. Based on what I could find on both species I would go with C. grandidieri. Regards. Karl

Thanks so much Karl.  We are surprised that such a gorgeous Conehead Katydid is not better documented.

Location: Ifaty, Madagascar