Subject: Weird bug
Location: Bowlong Green Kentucky
This huge bug kept trying to fly into my window. It was green and yellow with 4 wings. It looked kind of like a dragon fly mixed with a horse fly. I only got a couple pictures while it landed. I really want to know what it is.
Signature: Hunter Austin

Green Darner

Green Darner

Dear Hunter,
This is an exciting posting for us.  This is a Dragonfly known as a Green Darner.  They are strong fliers and they migrate, and we seem to recall reading somewhere that they are sometimes attracted to lights at night, which causes us to speculate if they might also travel by night.
  Opinicon Natural History has a page entitled Observations of Dragonflies Visiting Lights at Night where it states:  “Dragonflies (order Odonata, suborder Anisoptera) and normally diurnal. However some dragonflies are active by night. This is particularly true of long distance migrants that travel over open water where they cannot roost so must continue to fly even after dark ….  Reports of nocturnal adult dragonfly activity appear to be relatively scarce, especially with regard to North American species.”

Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky