Subject: Unknown Unusual Spider
Location: Stoughton, WI
We’ve got them too!
We have an 103 year old four square and found them in the basement cellar under the porch. We never go there, but we went down there when we found a chipmunk coming in and out from our porch foundation. We went down to flush the chipmunk out and fill in the hole when we discovered these fascinating creatures … albeit creepy!
We live just south of Madison, WI
We had never seen them before.
We have the same questions as everyone else.
Why is this fungus suddenly appearing?
And, is it harmful to humans?
Signature: Mariah

Fungus Riddled Spider

Fungus Riddled Spider

Dear Mariah,
These are probably the best images we have received of Cellar Spiders infested with a deadly fungus.

Seemingly contagious Spider Fungus

Seemingly contagious Spider Fungus

Fungus Infested Spider
Fungus Infested Spider

Location: Stoughton, Wisconsin

6 Responses to Fungus Riddled Spiders

1. Amy says:

I found similar spiders dead under my trailor. White fungus looking with a big ball of white in the middle in little white ball specs on the legs.

2. emily says:

Found them in my garden shed this spring 2015. Never saw before either. Is it a new phenomenon or a sudden increase in fungal activity? Greenfield, MA

3. aaron says:

Is this fungus deadly to humans or just spiders

4. Lynda says:

We have a room in the basement that has a dirt floor and we’re trying to remodel it. There’s so many of these spiders and nest. How do you get ride of them plus are they harmful?