Subject: Moth of some sort?
Location: Venice Florida
September 12, 2014 4:00 am
This was taken in early September in Venice Florida on The outside open the screen to an apartment porch.. The temperature was close to 90°F, and the humidity was quite high – like 95%
Signature: Tony Lincoln

Banded Sphinx

Banded Sphinx

Hi Tony,
This striking moth is a Banded Sphinx,
Eumorpha fasciatus, and according to the Sphingidae of the Americas site:  “The upperside of the moth is dark pinkish brown. Each forewing has a lighter brown band along the costa, and sharp pinkish white bands and streaks. The hindwing has a pink patch on the inner margin and pink along the outer margin, distinguishing it from vitis.”  Your individual has enough of the underwings showing in the attached image, revealing the pink outer margin, the identifying feature.

Location: Venice, Florida

2 Responses to Banded Sphinx

1. Rachael says:

Moths makes me happy 🙂

2. Letitlive says:

March 22, 2018
    One of these is has been hanging out all day on my Tower Garden spinach plant in Coral Springs, FL. I’m guessing it’s nocturnal and maybe female because it has the same lines but no pink. Does anyone know what it’s host plant is? Is this moth going to eat all my edible plants?