Subject: sci-fi grasshopper
Location: Toledo District, Belize
Hello, folks,
I saw this grasshopper while I was pruning cacao recently. I’ve pruned a lot of cacao, but this was a first. Any idea what this is?
Sure hope my server cooperates and sends along a couple photos. I’ve got more if you’re interested.
Thanks a lot,
Tanya
Signature: Tanya

Immature Male Katydid from Belize

Immature Katydid from Belize

Dear Tanya,
This is an immature male Katydid, not a Grasshopper.  The antennae
of a Grasshopper are considerably shorter and thicker than the antennae on Ensiferans, including Katydids, Long Horned Orthopterans with which they share the order.  We will attempt to contact Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki who frequently provides Katydid identifications down to the genus and species level.  We can tell you your individual is immature as evidenced by the short wing pads, and that your individual is a male as evidenced by his lack of an ovipositor.

Immature Male Katydid from Belize

Immature Katydid from Belize

Wow, Daniel,  what a fast and useful response.  Many,many thanks.  I’m going to check my other photos of this katydid because I think there may have been an ovipositor or something that looked like one to my untrained eyes.
You and your dedicated staff are the best.  I’ve been busy reading the Nests section.
Tanya

Subject: Is that an ovipositor on the katydid
Location: Toledo District, Belize
Is that stubby bit too short to be an ovipositor? If so, what is it?
Many thanks.
Signature: Tanya

Immature Katydid from Belize

Immature Katydid from Belize

Hi again Tanya,
From this angle, that does appear to be an ovipositor, so we are retracting our previous statement.  This is an immature female Katydid.

You’re great, Daniel and crew.  Thanks so much for making bugs so compelling to so many of us.
Tanya

Location: Toledo District, Belize