Subject: Whats this
Location: Warwickshire England
September 2, 2014 2:53 am
I found a bug in my home and have never seen this before , please can you identify it it was found in rugby Warwickshire ,on 31st of August 2015
Thanks in advance
J Powell
Signature: J Powell

Rove Beetle

Rove Beetle

Dear J Powell,
Wow, is Warwickshire a portal to the future???  Found in 2015???  This is a beneficial Rove Beetle in the family Staphylinidae, but we are uncertain of the species.  According to BNHS YounGnats:  “There are over 1100 different rove beetles in UK.”  According to the Empire Pest Control site:  “This casual intruder is associated with the forest environment for the whole of it’s life, however they do enter homes seeking shelter. Common in UK around field and forestry areas. Are not known for feeding on regular household food stuffs. Despite their somewhat aggresive appearance they pose no threat to people.”  The description continues with:  “What this predator is really looking for are insects, small invertebrates. It also catches maggots and other insect larvae. Will also feed on old decaying forest mushrooms and escaping sap on tree trunks.”
  We don’t really want to know why your individual appears bent into an unnatural position, though we suspect Unnecessary Carnage.

Location: Warwickshire, England