Subject: Acrobatic slug coitus
Location: Tigard, OR
A friend of mine sent these photos to me asking for my explanation of what the heck was going on here. Pasted below is my reply. Just thought you’d enjoy the pictures, post as you like, no credits necessary. I live in the Portland, OR metro area, and these pictures were taken 8/28/2014, in case you wanted to know.
“Yes indeed, this is slug sex. Perhaps the air was just right, or you happened to be playing some Rick James just a little too loud. It looks just barely post-coital, so perhaps this scene is more accurately referred to as “slug afterglow”. Either way, those white misshapen things are the slugs genitals. Slugs have both a penis and a vagina (lucky bastards), and it looks as if the one in the foreground is hastily retracting its junk. Perhaps in order to avoid the traditional slug version of pillow talk, which involves the chewing off and consuming of each others’ penises. They grow back, but still, kinda intimate for a one-night stand, don’t you think?”
Signature: Jason

Mating Slugs

Mating Slugs

Hi Jason,
We are always amazed at images of mating Slugs, and one 2006 posting of Mating Slugs resulted in quite a bit of controversy.

Thanks for that link, I really needed a good laugh. You folks are awesome, thanks for the great work!

Location: Tigard, Oregon

2 Responses to Mating Hermaphroditic Slugs

1. Susan J. Hewitt says:

Yes these leopard slugs are amazing aren’t they? And pretty huge too! In the woods they hang off a branch and do this. I have always wondered if sometimes a person is walking in the woods at night and just runs into a pair of mating slugs in midair! Yikes.

Chewing off a penis (the term is apophallation) only happens when the slugs can’t disentangle properly because their genitals are too knotted up. Also yikes.