Subject: Bugman Help!
Location: Singapore
Hello! I love reading your page! Its so informative! 🙂 I found this 2cm long, thin green caterpillar with 1 horn at the end on an unknown plant. Im from Singapore, a tropical country with hot, humid and seasonal rain. Hope you can enlighten me on its species because i have searched it on the net but to no avail. Thanks n God bless! 🙂
Signature: EmikoJ

Hornworm

Hornworm

Dear EmikoJ,
The best we can do for you at this time is provide a family.  This is a Hornworm, the larva of a Sphinx Moth in the family Sphingidae, a family that contains many large spectacular species found around the world.  It is young, which makes identifications more difficult.  Like all caterpillars, Hornworms molt and grow, passing through five instars or stages.  The fifth instar is the largest and the one most commonly pictured for identification purposes.  Earlier instars like this individual are generally more difficult to find documented.  This individual is green with no pronounced markings to help differentiate it from other species.  Knowing the plant it was feeding on might help with the identification.  If you have the time and inclination, you can try searching the Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic to attempt an identification.

Location: Singapore