Subject: larva of what?
Location: Meadow in Southern MN USA
Hello there Bugman & Staff,
We work at the local Nature center here & ran across this unusual bug. We have these two shots of it. We have searched, but to no avail… now I am searching sites online. This was found friday aug. 22nd, in a meadow on a grass. It did not seem to be feeding on the plant. We found it during our search for monarch caterpillars. ( We tag the adults & use some of them in a display for the public). We would appreciate any help or guidance identifying this small creature. We are located in Southern Minnesota.
Thank you kindly,
Jillian
Signature: Nature Center Staff

Sunflower Tortoise Beetle Larva

Sunflower Tortoise Beetle Larva

Dear Jillian,
We knew immediately that this creature is a Tortoise Beetle Larva, and that thing on the end of its tail is excrement.
  We felt it could not be an Arizona Tortoise Beetle, Physonota arizonae, but we also believed it was closely related.  We believe it is the Sunflower Tortoise Beetle Larva, Physonota helianthi, which we identified on BugGuide and that belongs in the same genus.  According to BugGuide:  “Food: hosts on members of the aster family, Asteraceae.”

Sunflower Tortoise Beetle Larva

Sunflower Tortoise Beetle Larva

Thank You so graciously from our staff, to yours!
We have been identifying a lot of species, and that one gave us a hard time. It was a larva stage, I suppose that’s why. We were able to find and identify a cicada wasp, that was interesting study also.
I wont take up more of your time than necessary, I know it’s precious.
Thank You so kindly,
Jillian
“May many smiles brighten your every day!”

Location: Southern Minnesota