Subject: Sphinx Moth ?
Location: Middle Tennessee
My husband spotted this at work. I was sure it was a type of Sphinx Moth until I looked on your site and saw the others did not have long antennas. Can you enlighten me on what type of moth this may be?
Signature: Sarah P.

Elm Sphinx

Waved Sphinx

Hi Sarahm
This appears to us to be an Elm Sphinx or Four Horned Sphinx,
Ceratomia amyntor.  You can read more about the Elm Sphinx on the Sphingidae of the Americas website where it states:  “Ceratomia amyntor adults fly as a single brood in a wide variety of forested and open habitats in the northern portions of their range from June-July. There are two broods further south, and Vernon A. Brou confirms five broods in Louisiana from March-October.”

Correction:  Waved Sphinx
We just received a comment that this is a Waved Sphinx.

Location: Tennessee

3 Responses to Waved Sphinx Moth

1. Sarah P. says:

Thank you so much for the response and the links. I loved being able to read about the development of this Elm Moth. After visiting the link for the Sphingadae of Americas, it was clear to me that although I have never seen this particular moth before, I have seen the eggs and pupae. Thank you so much for all of the hard work and dedication!

2. Stephen Kloiber says:

This is Ceratomia undulosa