Subject: Spider wasp’s (rescued) victim
I saw a wolf spider being attacked by a blue spider wasp today, and I managed to chase away the wasp and rescue the spider. I know some species only temporarily paralyze the victim, and I’ve seen the spider twitch, so…does he have any chance of recovering? I feel bad for intervening, especially since it’s probably too late for the spider, but the poor guy was trying very hard to get away, and I wanted to help him out.
I don’t know what kind exactly the wasp was, but it’s a Michigan variety.
Signature: Kitt

Blue Black Spider Wasp preys upon Wolf Spider (from our archives)

Dear Kitt ,
We have heard of a Tarantula recovering from the sting of a wasp, but the whole purpose of the sting is to paralyze the spider so that it will provide food for the wasp larvae.  We are uncertain if it will recover.  We have illustrated your posting with an image from our archives.

Thanks for responding, and I’m glad you could answer my question. I’ll keep an eye on the spider. who knows? He might recover soon.

Location: Michigan

5 Responses to Will Wolf Spider survive sting from Spider Wasp???

1. Tam says:

Hi, I know this is an old post… but I’d like to know if your spider recovered. I’ve got a huntsman in a jar right now on my kitchen bench (I’m in Queensland, Australia). It was stung by a hunting wasp and we accidently scared the wasp.

2. elaine says:

hi, few years on in this post, but I have a paralysed huntsman saved from a wasp during her brief absence – and I was wondering what the chances of the spider’s survival were. The Huntsman has been in a bug catcher for about a week, I’ve be attempting to give water daily. Today he seemed to move slightly. He’s outside at the mo enjoying the night air.

3. Tam says:

So nice to know I’m not the only person who has tried to ‘save’ the odd spider. Ours didn’t make it though, good luck with yours! Normally we don’t begrudge the wasps their dinner, but we accidentally chased one away and it left the poor thing behind.

• Lynn says:

I have a wolf spider I saved from a spider wasp yesterday. It is still alive and paralyzed. I am in Virginia. I have the spider in a jar with a moistened paper towel and air holes in the lid. I have read various accounts with both survival and mortality of the spider. Since the sting of the wasp is pretty substantial, I am doubtful that the spider will survive, but I will remain hopeful.

The sting of a Spider Wasp does not kill the spider, but rather paralyzes it. We cannot predict if the spider will recover.