Subject: What is this?
Location: Kelowna, BC
A friend posted a picture of this and nobody knows what it is. She lives in Kelowna BC.
Signature: Courtney

Male California Prionus

Male California Prionus

Dear Courtney,
Though is it named for the Golden State,  the range of the California Root Borer,
Prionus californicus, extends well beyond California as you can see from the sighting data on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Larva feed primarily on living deciduous trees (oaks, madrone, cottonwood) and are also recorded from roots of vines, grasses, and decomposing hardwoods and conifers. Will also attack fruit trees growing on light, well-drained soils (e.g. apple, cherry, peach).”  This individual is a male which can be distinguished from the female by his developed, distinctly sawlike antennae.

Location: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

2 Responses to California Root Borer

1. Lars Karstad says:

I live in West Kelowna. I sent a photograph taken here July 14th, 2016, of a very large beetle (photo available to anyone) to a daughter in Ontario who got an opinion from a knowledgeable friend, identifying the beetle as the California Root Borer. The beetle was found dead on the sidewalk, outside a 4 storey building, probably attracted to lights at night.

2. Bob Thacker says:

I am responding to the initial posting about the sighting of a California Root-borer beetle in Kelowna, BC. I have read the one responce by Lars Karstad, I know Lars quite well as we both live in the same building, I heard about the beetle that Lars found on 14th July 2016, and a short time after I to found a dead specimen by our covered parking area which also is well lighted, this was on the 23rd July, and then on 26th I found a second one which was just alive, on the 29th July I found a third one, and a fourth one on 30th July; the third and fouth ones were very much alive and thought to be females, also the first one. All four were found in a covered parking stall which measures 16′ x 9′. the location is: Lat_ 49.825315 Long – 119.631909. I hope this is of some interest; I have photos of all four specimens.