Subject: Fisher spider??
Location: New jersey
I found this spider in my fireplace about 3 inches from my face while fixing the fireplace in August, northern New Jersey. I released it shortly after this photo session.
Signature: Tom

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Hi Tom,
You have correctly identified a Fishing Spider in the genus Dolomedes, but we are uncertain of the species, though if you are located far from water, this is most likely
Dolomedes tenebrosus.  This is a female and she is carrying an egg sac.  Female Fishing Spiders carry an egg sac around until they find a suitable location to spin a nursery web in which to deposit the egg sac.  The female continues to guard the egg sac in the nursery web until she dies or until the egg sac hatches and the spiderlings disperse.  Because of your kindness to this expectant mother Fishing Spider, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Location: New Jersey