Subject: Shining.. Glowing.. Crawling not jumping
Location: Olathe, KS
It’s late summer, I live in North Eastern Kansas and it was midday and I was cutting tall weeds. This guy popped out and appeared to be almost glowing or shining from the yellow in the body, it also appears to have white kinda furry on the body as well, from end of leg to leg it was about 3″
Signature: Holland Temple

Golden Orbweaver

Golden Orbweaver

Dear Holland,
This is a Golden Orbweaver,
Argiope aurantia, and like other members of the Orbweaver family Araneidae, these spiders generally live only a single season.  This appears to be a mature female who probably hatched this spring.  Younger Orbweavers generally pass unnoticed until they reach maturity toward the end of the summer.  Orbweavers rarely leave their webs, and they are rather clumsy if they have to move on the ground.  We suspect you probably inadvertently destroyed this gal’s orb web, causing her to scuttle through the grass.  She will find a new location to spin a web and you will most likely find her in the same location day after day.  Though a large Orbweaver might bite if carelessly handled, they are not aggressive spiders and in the event a bite does occur, there is rarely more than local swelling and some soreness.  The web of a Golden Orbweaver is quite strong, enabling the spiders to snare large flying insects, and we have even posted images in the past of a luckless Hummingbird being eaten by a large Golden Orbweaver.

Location: Olathe, Kansas