Subject: Thanks
Thanks for a great site. How easy it is to find my bugs . So glad I found you and I’m going to buy your book can’t wait. I’m at the eastern end on the north fork of Long Island  and seem to find new bugs all the time.ITS SOOO KOOOOL! Will look to you again soon. Hairy Mary.
Signature: Mary manning

Subject: Peacock bug
Saw one today 8-16-14 on my red bud tree hare in southold , L.I N.Y. Absolutely beautiful! Never saw one before and thought it was just so very cool had to find out.Thank you for your site. Will never forget  that one . Mary.
Signature: Mary manning

Dear Mary,
We are happy you are satisfied with our site and that you are interested in reading Daniel’s book, The Curious World of Bugs, however your second comment has us confused.  We are not certain what you mean by a “Peacock Bug” that is on your red bud tree since you did not include an image.

I couldn’t get a picture of the little peacock bug but found it on your site. Very tiny with wings that close over the back but not flat they stand up! Soo cute but no pic. I’ll look again and send pic when I can. Love your site!

Ed. Note:  We have Peacock Moths, Peacock Butterflies and a Peacock Fly on our site, but no Peacock Bugs.

I think it’s a peacock fly not bug not sure how to get you a pic. I’m new at this internet stuff. Thanks again!

Peacock Fly from Germany

Peacock Fly from Germany

Thanks Mary,
We do have a Peacock Fly from Germany, and since it is listed on BugGuide, it is a North American species that also has been introduced to Europe.

Location: Long Island, New York