Subject: Kissing Bug?
Location: Cabot, AR
Found this bug on my patio. We live in a state where the “kissing bug” is making the news. I have gotten several conflicting answers and photos on Google are making me even more confused. I just want to know for sure what it is!
Signature: Don’t kiss me!

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Dear Don’t kiss me!,
Your confusion is understandable because this predatory Wheel Bug is in the same family, the Assassin Bug family Reduviidae, as the Kissing BugWheel Bugs prey upon other insects and they feed using their sharp proboscis that they use to pierce the prey and then suck the fluids from the body.  Kissing Bugs in the genus
Triatoma feed in a similar manner, but they feed on the blood of birds and mammals, including sleeping humans.  The problem with Kissing Bugs is that they can spread Chagras Disease when they bite.  Though there is a chance that carelessly handling a Wheel Bug will result in a painful bite, there is no negative, lasting health problem associated with the bite, merely local swelling and tenderness.

Location: Cabot, Arkansas