Subject: Beautiful Spider
Location: No. California
This beauty appeared last summer and “hung” around about a month.
Our friends in a neighboring community had one too.
I have not seen one previously or since.
Other than Orb Weaver haven’t been able to put a name to it.
Can you?
Signature: Rod Tidemann

Orbweaver

Spotted Orbweaver

Dear Rod,
Your letter fills us with enthusiasm immediately after we posted a query and image that resulted in Unnecessary Carnage rather than an appreciation of the beauty of the natural world.  We are relatively certain this is a Spotted Orbweaver or Barn Spider,
Neoscona crucifera, and you can compare your image to this image on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, they:  “build thier webs at dusk and then take the webs back down around dawn.”  Thanks for also supplying us with a ventral view, and as you can see, the pattern on the underside of the body also matches this Spotted Orbweaver that is pictured on BugGuide.

Spotted Orbweaver

Spotted Orbweaver

Thank you for your quick and enthusiastic response.  A Barn Spider  I.D. takes me back to when I was a lad growing up on the farm and we actually had Barn Spiders in the barn.  They were numerous and huge.  Of course I was a small boy and most things were huge. They were fascinating.  Unfortunately most of our spiders around here are either “Daddy Longlegs” or Black Widows; Less  fascinating.
Wonderful work
Rod

Location: Northern California