Subject: Vancouver Suburb Apartment Bug
Location: Vancouver, BC
Hi there,
I’m wondering if you can help me identify this bug? I started noticing them about a year ago, approx once every few weeks, mainly in the bathroom in the middle of the night or early morning. They scurry away when the lights go on. The one in the picture attached is approx the length of a penny, but I’ve started to notice babies!!!! Noooooo! We live approx 30 mins east of Vancouver, BC in a ground floor apartment building. The building itself is approx 20 years old, made with concrete and wood (so I wondered if it is a wood-dwelling bug). They tend to scurry under the baseboards. I’ve seen a few in the kitchen now and I need to stop this scourge! Thanks in advance!
Signature: Shannon

Silverfish

Silverfish

Dear Shannon,
The Silverfish is a common household pest that can be extremely difficult to eradicate.  Silverfish will feed on a wide variety of organic substances in the home, including some unconventional items like the glue binding of books and wallpaper.  Your observations that they are found in the bathroom and at night are very accurate.  They prefer damp surroundings, especially near sinks.

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia