Subject: Large Brown Spider
Location: West Coast, USA, California
I have a friend in Southern California that’s been finding large brown spiders in her house for the last few years, they have approximately a 5-6 inch leg span with a dark brown stripe on the butt. The only Californian spider I could find that was similar in body type was the long legged sac spider. I’ve attached a picture she took of one in her house, Any help would be appreciated; She’s lived in California for 30 years and has only started seeing these guys recently.
Signature: Scorpio Maurus

Huntsman Spider

Huntsman Spider

Dear Scorpio Maurus,
There is not enough detail in this image to verify the species with certainty, but we are confident that this is a Huntsman Spider or Giant Crab Spider in the family Sparassidae.  Many species are nocturnal predators that wander about in search of prey including Cockroaches.  They hunt without building webs.  North American Huntsman Spiders are considered harmless.  This may be
Olios giganteus, and as you can see by comparing your description to this and other images on BugGuide, there is a dark brown stripe on the abdomen.