Subject: Bug battle?
Location: Toledo District, Belize
Thanks so much for your speedy answer about the stinging caterpillar. I took this photo in the dark last night and don’t know what it is, but it looks like one is eating the other.
Signature: Tanya

Whipscorpion Cannibalism

Tailless Whipscorpion Cannibalism

Hi Tanya,
We don’t get so many submissions from Belize, but there are many similar species living in Costa Rica, a country that because of eco-tourism tends to have much documentation on the fauna of the country online and many folks sending their unknown creatures to us for identification.  Thus we have prior submissions of Tailless Whipscorpions from Costa Rica as well as other parts of the world, and we always advise folks to let them live as they lack venom and are harmless to humans.  They are effective nocturnal predators that will help to control the Cockroach populations.  That said, this is the first image we have of the predatory behavior of a Tailless Whipscorpion, and it is phenomenal that it also depicts cannibalism.

Thanks again, Daniel,  for a very speedy and useful response.  To assure you, we don’t kill many bugs (mosquitoes and other flies actually biting us are really about it).  We aren’t afraid of insects although we don’t know nearly as much as we’d like about them.  We remove scorpions with the help of long scissors used as tongs; just toss the scorpions outdoors and we all go along with our lives.
Got to say I’m pleased I inadvertently captured a scene you hadn’t observed with the tailless whipscorpions.  Glad I took the shot; I have a couple more if you’re interested.
Thanks again to you and your dedicated crew.  You’re a tremendous resource (and I admit a guilty pleasure reading the responses to the Nasty Reader Awards).
Yours in Belize,
Tanya

Hi Tanya,
We would love a few other views of this cannibalistic drama.  We actually get a bit of a thrill writing responses to our Nasty Readers and we are happy to hear you are enjoying them.

Hello, Daniel,
I could tell you enjoyed responding to your Nasty Readers, and it seems a number of your Non-Nasty Readers also enjoy weighing in.  Any chance some/all of you were English majors once upon a time?
I will send along the photos I took of the insect drama; there are only three.  If I can’t get them to attach here, I’ll send them separately.
Yours in Belize,
Tanya

Cannibalism among Whipscorpions

Cannibalism among Whipscorpions

Hi Tanya,
While we cannot speak for our readership and their educational backgrounds, Daniel only majored in Art with concentrations in photography and cinema, however he loves to turn a good word and thoroughly enjoys the playfulness of the English language.  We did receive your additional images, and we are thankful, however they are not too different from the original image.  We had hoped for more of a progression in the action.

Location: Toledo District, Belize