Subject: spider on the sand
Location: Northern lower peninsula – Michigan
This guy or gal was spotted on the sand at a beach in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan today. An hour of digging around got me nowhere. But given its size (that’s a standard sized bic lighter) and what few markings I can make out, I want to go with a wolf or jumping spider of some sort but I’ve seen nothing that matches it or its camouflage ability. Can you ID this one?
Signature: Faith up North

Fishing Spider

Fishing Spider

Dear Faith up North,
This is a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes, but even though we cropped to the spider and adjusted the contrast to provide more detail, we cannot be certain of the exact species.  Please refer to BugGuide for possibilities.  We do know that surroundings can have a pronounced effect upon which individuals in a particular species are able to survive and pass on genes, and it is very plausible that this light colored Fishing Spider may be uncharacteristically colored when one considers typical members of the species.  Because it is so well camouflaged, it as well as its ancestors and its progeny may be better suited to survival in this particular habitat.

Fishing Spider

Fishing Spider

Thank you. I’m leaning toward D. scriptus.

Location: Michigan, lower peninsula