Subject: Mega Mosquito
Location: Lewisville, Texas
I found this bug 3 feet outside my apartment. I live in Lewisville, Texas. I took this picture on August 8, 2014. I really want to know if this bug is dangerous. The rail it is sitting on is about an inch and a half thick. It’s really intimidating. I got as close as I could without making it fly off. I hope it will be enough to identify this bug.
Signature: Any

Hanging Thief

Hanging Thief

Dear Any,
This seems to be “the day of the Robber Flies” as this is the third image of a Robber Fly we are posting this morning.  This particular Robber Fly is a Hanging Thief in the genus
Diogmites.  They are stealth predators that generally pluck their prey out of the sky, and their prey often includes large flying insects like wasps and bees.  Robber Flies are not aggressive towards humans, but we imagine if someone was foolish enough to try to capture one by hand, a bite might result.  Texas is home to numerous species of large Robber Flies.  With a bit of imagination, and a slightly different camera angle, a “creative” photographer could take an image that appears as though this individual was waiting to prey upon a luckless human emerging from that parked car, but that would be an example of phantasmagoria. 

Thank you very much for the information. I can rest easier knowing that this bug won’t come after me. I like them a whole lot more knowing they will eat bees and wasps, as I am allergic to their stings. I lived my whole life in Texas but this was the first time I had seen a Robber Fly. A person screaming at the fly in the photo would have been epic. Who knows. Maybe another one will land on the railing. 🙂 

Location: Lewisville, Texas