Subject: Very large bee insect
Location: Cumming, ga
The attached picture looks like a very large bee, but it has long legs, flies, has a furry ruff around it’s neck and was on my green car side view mirror the other day. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Signature: Marisa

Red Footed Cannibalflies

Red Footed Cannibalflies

Hi Marisa,
This is the fourth image we are posting today of a Red Footed Cannibalfly, a large predatory Robber Fly, including one image of a mating pair of Red Footed Cannibalflies.
  Add to that two images of Hanging Thieves, another type of large Robber Fly, and that makes a total of six Robber Flies posted today.  We are declaring today the Day of the Robber Flies.

Location: Cumming, Georgia

4 Responses to August 9, 2014 is the Day of the Robber Flies: Fourth Red Footed Cannibalfly posting today, bringing total to six large Robber Fly Postings!!!

1. George says:

I took some pictures of a bug like this in NW Montana. It was eating a wasp!

Different species of large robber flies are found throughout North America, though the Southwest seems to have the most diversity.

2. Shannon Carter says:

I saw a mating pair fly up today (in Antioch , TN) and came here to identify them. Funny that they were the highlighted bug of the day! Thanks! If you need more photos I got a great shot of them mating.