Subject: Moth or Fly?
Location: Baltimore, MD
This guy was on my “golden jubliee” agastache, the last week of July, in Baltimore, Maryland. I live in the city itself, but we have a park nearby and lots of neighbors have nice gardens.
I’ve never seen anything like this one before. I was thinking a clearwing moth, but it doesn’t look like any I’ve seen. Do you know?
Signature: Summer

Tiger Bee Fly

Tiger Bee Fly

Dear Summer,
This large fly is commonly called a Tiger Bee Fly and its scientific name is
Xenox tigrinus.  You can view a nice matching image on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Larva is a parasitoid of Carpenter Bees, Xylocopa.  Adult food unknown. An adult has been observed on damp mud, lapping up fluids (pers. observation, P. Coin).”  Many Bee Flies in the family Bmbyliidae are important pollinators, and your observation on the agastache (See High Country Gardens) would indicate that despite the lack of information on the feeding habits of the Tiger Bee Fly on BugGuide, it is also a pollinator like other members of the family.

Location: Baltimore, Maryland

One Response to Tiger Bee Fly

1. Vanessa says:

Saw one of these for the first time yesterday in Toronto, Canada. They were happily sitting on the wall of my balcony. They freaked me out, due to their size, but coming here and learning who they are took away my fear completely. I have hundreds of carpenter bees around and that is why they have shown up. Hopefully they will come back because I would really love to get a photo of them.
    Thank you once again for the invaluable information you provide at What’s That Bug.