Subject: Yellow moth
Location: SE Pennsylvania
My dog was “playing” with this moth this morning, so I moved it off the ground to where she couldn’t reach it. We’re in south east Pennsylvania, and its wingspan is roughly 4 inches. It has a “hairy” yellow head, and has a short, stout body about the circumference of one’s thumb. Any idea what it is?
Signature: Ron B.

Imperial Moth

Imperial Moth

Hi Ron B.,
This is a female Imperial Moth.  Females have more yellow while male Imperial Moths have more darker markings.  The sexual dimorphism is obvious when one is lucky enough to observe a mating pair of Imperial Moths.  Like other members of the Giant Silkmoth Family Saturniidae, Imperial Moths do not feed as adults as they do not have functional mouthparts.  They live long enough to mate and lay eggs.  Hopefully rescuing this gal from your dog will allow her to procreate.  For your kindness to one of the lower beasts, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Thank you, Daniel, for taking the time to help me know what kind of moth my dog found. She is doing fine resting high up on a fence post, waiting for the sun to go down. Thanks again…
Ron

Location: Southeast Pennsylvania