Subject: Cottonwood Beetle
Location: West Alton, Missouri
I know this is a Cottonwood Beetle, found at the Riverways Migratory Bird Sanctuary in West Alton, Missouri on August 5, 2014. I’ve never seen one of these before and they are impressive looking.
Signature: Cara Mengwasser

Cottonwood Borer

Cottonwood Borer

Dear Cara,
Your image is positively gorgeous.  We generally crop images so that the “bug” is featured nicely for the web, and the same is true of your image, but we are also posting your entire image so that our readers can appreciate the loveliness of this Cottonwood Borer within the landscape, and we hope folks know that clicking on the images on our site in postings after 2009 will bring up an enlarged view in a new screen.  While Cottonwood Borers are not the largest Longicorns in North America, and we can think of a few that are prettier than the Cottonwood Borer, it is probably the prettiest, really large Longicorn, and we fully agree with you that it is an impressive site.

Cottonwood Borer

Cottonwood Borer

Location: West Alton, Missouri