Subject: I Have 3 Pet Spiders and do not Know What to Feed Them
Location: Okanagan Region (Beach)
I’m Candace (13) and I have 3 “pet” spiders. I caught them all down in a shack in southern British Columbia. I’m curious to find out what kind of spiders they are and what I should be feeding them. They are all in different terrariums with shells at the bottom and I’m keeping them in my room. When it’s light out, I normally keep them in a luke-warm, dark area. Is that what they normally prefer? Could you please help me identify these spiders? They are very dear to me and I would be quite upset if they were to starve to death.
Thank you for your time.
Signature: -Candace

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Dear Candace,
All of your spiders are species of Orbweavers, and they spin webs to snare prey.  You can feed them flies or other insects that you capture, or you can go to a pet store and purchase crickets to feed the spiders.  The file numbered 1820 appears to be a Long Jawed Orbweaver,
Tetragnatha versicolorand you can compare your pet to this image on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, their food is “Primarily insects.”

Orbweaver

Orbweaver

Your other two spiders are Orbweavers in the family Araneidae, but we are uncertain of the species.  According to BugGuide, the “Food sources vary, but typically any small insects they catch in their webs. “

Orbweaver

Orbweaver

Location: Okanagan, British Columbia

2 Responses to Pet Orbweavers need to eat Insects

1. Vanessa says:

Those are exceptionally good photos, Candace! I especially love the Long Jawed Orbweaver – what a glorious creature.

Perhaps we are being overly sensitive, but we are still awaiting a “thank you” from Candace or at least an acknowledgement that she received our response. We rue the lack of etiquette in modern society.