Subject: What the name?
Location: Phrao, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Hi bugman
After the successful answer of my first bug I’m excited to use this site to find all the names of the bugs I’ve been curious about. This is simply a dragonfly I found in Thailand, March 2012. Wanted to find out what the name of this was because this was the only one I found during my time there that was black compared to the more common dragonflies in the area which were all vibrant in color.
Signature: PsychPeter

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Dear PsychPeter,
We have a very difficult time with North American Dragonflies despite there being so many sites devoted to North American Dragonflies.  Male and female Dragonflies often exhibit pronounced sexual dimorphism, meaning the sexes can look like different species.  Also, male Dragonflies often change drastically between the time they initially metamorphose into winged adults, the teneral or juvenile stage, and the time they attain sexual maturity.  According to BugGuide:  “They are usually pale and unmarked; they acquire adult coloring and markings over the next several days (it can take more than a week to reach sexual maturity.)”  We found a very similar looking Dragonfly on Shutterstock, but it is not identified to the species level.

Update:  August 5, 2014 12:10 am
the unknown dragonfly from Thailand posted by PsychPeter is certainly a male of  Neurothemis tullia (Drury 1773). Its wing design is very characteristic. You may compare the pictures in this link:
http://thaiodonata.blogspot.de/2011/03/neurothemis-tullia.html  or wikipedia…
Regards, Erwin
Signature: Erwin M. Beyer

Location: Phrao, Chiang Mai, Thailand