Subject: What the heck is this?
Location: Creede Colorado
I took this picture a few days ago about 30 miles west of Creede, Colorado. Would love to know what this thing is called.
Signature: P Padgham

Tachinid Fly

Tachinid Fly

Dear P Padgham,
This is a Tachinid Fly, a member of an important family of parasitic flies that prey upon insects and arthropods.  Many Tachinid Flies are valuable biological control agents for agricultural pests.  Many Tachinid Flies look very similar and they are quite spiny.

Location: Creede, Colorado

6 Responses to Tachinid Fly

1. Kelley says:

Do these flies bite, sting, or leave prongs in a person? I stepped on something looking like this on a Florida beach and had to pull a long stinger or prong out of my foot…boy it hurt and itches. My foot swelled up, it was awful! The swelling has subsided but it still itches and is still irritated more than a week after! What to do?

2. Kelley says:

Is there something similar found on the Florida coast that may have thorns or stingers? It was black, fuzzy, and had re on its hind side under the black. It was stuck in my foot and left a large hole and swelled across the whole arch and bottom of the foot. Any suggestions?
    Thank you

Tachinid Flies are found across North America and in much of the world. We do not believe your injury was due to a Tachinid Fly.

3. Kelley says:

Thank you- Sooooooo what do you think it ma have been?