Subject: Shiny Green Bug
Location: unknown
We recently moved into a house and my daughter found this in her closet. It has been encased for preservation as a novelty but she won’t stop bugging me until I can tell her about the bug. Can you please help at least identify the bug in question so I can do some research it for her. I would appreciate any light you can shed on this!
Signature: Getting Bugged about a Bug

Jewel Beetle Pendant

Jewel Beetle Pendant

Dear Getting Bugged about a Bug,
Your daughter is going to love this.  This appears to be a Metallic Borer Beetle or Jewel Beetle in the family Buprestidae.  Interestingly, we believe we may have identified the species, or at least a close relative.  This looks like
Chrysochroa saundersi from Thailand, which we found pictued on Shutterstock.  We then located a top and bottom view on The Siam Insect-Zoo & Museum site and that was proof enough for us as it is a near perfect match to the images you provided.  Additionally, Asia is ground zero for the importation of insects embedded in lucite.  Jewel Beetles have been used to make jewelry since at least Victorian times, and this image of a necklace made from the elytra or wings of Jewel Beetles that is pictured on Econe is quite stunning, though we don’t condone the modern use of beetles for decorative purposes.

Jewel Beetle Pendant

Jewel Beetle Pendant

Thank you very much.  She will be thrilled!  You guys are awesome!