Subject: Unknown Beetle?
Location: Lebanon, Maine
Hello, I was searching in my basement for old things and I came across this big guy. My basement is rather moist from the humidity and has a lot of old cardboard boxes around. This creature is about one inch in length excluding the antennas and looks around 2 millimeters in width. It has six legs and a nice little jaw bone look that normal beetles have. Looks along the lines of a soldier beetle but different colors. I’d appreciate it if you could help me out here. I’d be pretty freaked if it were a cockroach.
Signature: Yours truly.

Brown Prionid

Brown Prionid

Dear Yours truly,
Images of Brown Prionids,
Orthosoma brunneum, like the one you submitted, continue to pour into our site for identification.  Though they are not considered dangerous, Brown Prionids, like many other members of the Longhorned Borer family Cerambycidae, have very powerful mandibles and they might draw blood from a bite if carelessly handled.

Location: Lebanon, Maine