Subject: odd beetle with white collar
Location: Lapeer, MI
Can you tell me what type of beetle this is? It is about the size of a dime. I found it in my kitchen sink and it could have come in with some fresh cut flowers I brought last night. It reminded me of the hermit flower beetle, except for the white “collar”. Is it safe to release back in to my garden? Thanks for any information you can give me!
Signature: Pat

American Carrion Beetle

American Carrion Beetle

Dear Pat,
This is an American Carrion Beetle,
Necrophila americana, and according to BugGuide:  “Adults consume fly larvae (maggots) at carrion, as well as some carrion.”  Perhaps there is a dead animal nearby, though they also feed on fungus including mushrooms.

Thanks for responding so quickly!  I had not seen a beetle like that around my property before and was curious.  I set it free and it immediately disappeared under some vegetation.  All kinds of “new to me insects” around my yard this year!
Pat

Location: Lapeer, Michigan

One Response to American Carrion Beetle

1. Rose says:

I had one of these on my house recently in Wales, Massachusetts but it was much larger than a dime. It was the size of a 1/2 dollar. I am happy to hear that it is not an invasive species.