Subject: This is totally a real bug!!!
Location: Phrao, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Hey bugman (or should it be bugmen)
I love nature and bugs are part of that even if I know people who would be totally disgusted by them. While in Thailand, I took many random photo of bugs whenever, wherever I could and loved the opportunity to do so. I don’t have a great camera but its mostly the experience and photos to remind you of them.
Anyways on with the bug. I’ll tell you the story so to as accurate as possible about the situation I saw this bug. It was actually close to the end of my time in Thailand in January 2013 (after 14 months) when I spotted this little gem of a bug on a pot plant outside a kindergarten surrounded by harvest fields (not sure what they were harvesting during the time). I actually thought it was fake at first because of its shininess (so shiny you can see my silhouette reflection on its back) and for the fact that the wings looked like they couldn’t close but when I got close to it it flew away. I was disappointed but after about a minute it returned to the same spot. I captured these two photos before I was called away and when I returned it was gone. I never saw it again.
Hope you guys will have better luck finding out what sort of bug this is. I’ve tried looking it up but tend to find edible insect sites because I put Thailand in my search bar.
This is a great website, keep up the good work. Hope I haven’t taken too much of your time with my ranting.
Signature: PsychPeter

Carpenter Bee

Carpenter Bee

Subject: Not sure if Ask WTB form worked
Hi WTB
Just sent in a Ask WTB form but not sure it worked because I had the page opened awhile and then I did the math and sent it and it just went back to the form. It’s called “This is a real bug!!!” so if you can check and confirm if it went through that would great. Sorry for the bother just I’ve saved my message just because the sending was slow just in case it didn’t got through and if it didn’t then I can send it again. Hope you can find the bug out for me.
PS. Just for that fact if someone completes a form maybe it should say something to confirm form successful sent or failed. Thanks
Signature: Peter

Carpenter Bee

Carpenter Bee

Hi Peter,
We did receive your submission, and you should get an automatically generated response from us stating:  “Thank you for submitting your identification request.
Please understand that we have a very small staff that does this as a labor of love. We cannot answer all submissions (not by a long shot). But we’ll do the best we can!”
  Your insect is a Carpenter Bee and it looks very similar to this individual from Thailand posted on Photographers Direct that is identified as either Xylocopa tenuiscapa or Xylocopa latipes.  There are many insect delicacies in Thailand, so it is understandable that you kept encountering edible insect sites.

Hi bugman
Thanks for the quick response. Only found out later that my confirmation emails all went to my junk mail. No idea why. Good to find out what this bee is. Keep up the good work and I hope to send you more.
PsychPeter

Location: Phrao, Chiang Mai, Thailand