Subject: Green June Beetle Defense Mechanism?
Location: Silver Lake (Los Angeles) CA
Hi Daniel
Every year we witness a few Green June Beetles burying themselves in the mulch in our backyard (which, we learned from you, is to lay eggs). However, this was the first time the dogs got close to one & they acted like they were sprayed by it, both were sneezing & shaking their heads when they got within a foot or less of the rear of the beetle. I couldn’t smell anything, and I was pretty close, trying to shoot photos with my phone. Additional photos and longer version of the story:
http://redcarproperty.blogspot.com/2014/07/corralitas-drive-green-june-beetle-on.html
Signature: Diane E

Figeater

Figeater

Hi Diane,
We have never heard of the ability of a Figeater, the common name for the Green Fruit Beetle that we prefer, being able to repel a dog.  This is most curious and we will see what we can learn.  The MWHA has just written a letter in support of the preservation of Flat Top in Montecito Heights.

Dog sniffs Figeater

Dog sniffs Figeater

Location: Silverlake, Los Angeles, California

2 Responses to Question about Figeater Defense Mechanism

1. I have encountered this before. This is the first time I have ever seen it mentioned by anyone except myself. A figeater beetle a few years back shot hot liquid out his/her sides. Not hot enough to hurt, I just got startled. The beetle was completely fine, in case you wondered.