Subject: black wasp with white bands
Location: Fairfax, VA
I photographed this attractive wasp (at the same time as a Great Golden Digger Wasp) on 7/27/14 in Fairfax, Virginia. I haven’t been able to find a reference to ID it. Can you help?
Signature: Seth

Four Toothed Mason Wasp

Four Toothed Mason Wasp

Dear Seth,
Your images of the Four Toothed Mason Wasp,
Monobia quadridens, are positively gorgeous.  According to BugGuide:  “Usually nests in wood borings, but sometimes burrows in dirt banks. Sometimes takes over abandoned nests of carpenter bees or ground bees, also Sceliphron (mud dauber) cells. Nest is provisioned with caterpillars, and cells of nest are separated by mud partitions.”

Four Toothed Mason Wasp

Four Toothed Mason Wasp

Location: Fairfax, Virginia

11 Responses to Four Toothed Mason Wasp

1. Eni says:

Super happy to see these guys on your site. I have been seeing them out along my front porch where we have, or rather had, oooooodles of carpenter bees that I very much adore. I thought at first they were bald faced hornets which was very scary, but your site helped me identify them more accurately and I’m much less nervous to see four or five of them hovering around the railing and going into the little bore holes. Thanks for all the great work you guys do!

2. Jerry says:

Saw one of these on my front porch in Topeka Kansas on July 4th 2016

3. Jon says:

Just found one of these in my garage here in SW Michigan and scared me half to death!…..lol. Are there some pros and cons to these guys or any other concerns ?

4. Ann Jareckie says:

First time I have seen these in southern Vermont. Over the past couple of years we have had Carpenter Bees destroying the wood on the garage, now these Wasps have shown up to lay eggs in the holes.

5. Kurt says:

Just saw one of these in my house in Cicero, NY. Scared the hell out of me, I have never seen one of these before.

6. Brett says:

Just saw one of these for the first time on my back patio going for flower to flower in Overland Park, KS.

7. Diane P Glynn says:

A squadron of them have taken over my kitchen pouch from the carpenter bees. First time I’ve seen them on long island. Thay do get in your face.

8. Kim says:

One on Choctawhatchee River in Ebro, FL.

9. Anita says:

I have one on my deck. Seems to like my sedum plant. Do they sting?
    Freeburg, IL

10. Jess says:

Just photographed one just south of Ft. Worth, Tx.
    It was not aggressive as I snapped a close up with my phone. Thought it was a mud dauber, as they have all begun to fly in the last two weeks!!!

11. Nana41 says:

We have tons of these we are in Martinsburg, WV