Subject: red footed
Location: alabama
Does this thing bite or sting humans?
Signature: freaked out

Redfooted Cannibalfly eats Paper Wasp

Red-Footed Cannibalfly eats Paper Wasp

Dear freaked out,
Though the Red-Footed Cannibalfly,
Promachus rufipes, is a very adept hunter capable of taking stinging wasps like this Paper Wasp on the wing, they are not aggressive towards humans.  With that said, if a human ever tried to capture a Red-Footed Cannibalfly or other large Robber Fly with bare hands, a bite may result.

Location: Alabama

3 Responses to Red-Footed Cannibalfly eats Paper Wasp

1. samantha Rushton says:

I seen one of these in greer south carolina for the first time ever in my 33 yrs of living here. Very scary!

2. Crystal Reed says:

Just look this up cause I just now saw one. 1st time in my life. I’m 38 and have lived in johnson county texas all my life. It landed on my porch and my husband said what the heck was that. I had to look it up because neither of us has ever seen one. Now we know to leave it be cause we have an over abundance of wasp Hornets and tarantula bees so maybe it will take care of our stinging insect problem.

3. Heather says:

My boyfriend just bought a toothpick bow and arrow. Haha. He’s been shooting random bugs and spiders and shot one of these today. Had to figure out what it was. That’s one scary looking fly… wish he hadn’t killed it now that I know what it is.