Subject: What’s That Bug?
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
We saw this bug at a family picnics at the city park. I’ve been in Cleveland Ohio for 40 years and have never encountered this bug. Looks half caterpillar half insect and very alien.
Signature: Matt S.

Leaf Beetle Larva

Leaf Beetle Larva

Dear Matt,
This is the larva of a Leaf Beetle in the family Chrysomelidae, and knowing the food plant would tremendously help in narrowing down the possibilities.  It is very similar in structure to a Potato Beetle Larva, which causes us to believe it is closely related, and the best we can do right now is to narrow it down to the larva of a Leaf Beetle in the tribe Doryphorina.  You can compare your image to this image on BugGuide.

Location: Lakewood, Ohio

2 Responses to Leaf Beetle Larva

1. christina k. says:

Submitter’s sister here. I was at that family picnic, and present when the picture was taken. The larva was on what looked like a sweet potato vine growing wild on a hillside overlooking Lake Erie. Our youngest sister thinks it is a false potato beetle larva.