Subject: Mystery Moth.
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Hello! Found this fairly large moth in my mothers backyard, hanging out on the fence, early evening. I have no idea what it is!
Signature: -Auraus

Laurel Sphinx

Laurel Sphinx

Dear Auraus,
This lovely moth is a Laurel Sphinx,
Sphinx kalmiae, and we identified it thanks to the comprehensive database on the Sphingidae of the Americas site where it states:  “In Canada, Sphinx kalmiae is single-brooded with most adults on the wing in June and July. In New Jersey and Connecticut and states of that latitiude, the Laurel Sphinx is double-brooded (late May-June flight and then again in July-August). There are as many as six broods in Louisiana with the first brood appearing in early to mid April.”  We are grateful that you were able to obtain an image that reveals the underwings.

Laurel Sphinx

Laurel Sphinx

Ah hah! Thank you so much for the identification. 🙂 It was actually very happy to sit in my hand and pose for photos. Getting it to leave was the trick. 😉
-Danijela

Location: Southern Ontario, Canada