Subject: Wasp or Hornet?
Location: Truro, MA
I live in Truro, MA. This insect sits on the corner of my deck each morning that it is sunny but not when it is cloudy or in the evenings. It is quite large (over an inch), and stays all day making the deck unusable. I can’t get close enough to spray because it immediately flies and appears aggressive. Can you tell me what it is and if it is really aggressive.
Thank you.
Signature: Bill

Cicada Killer

Cicada Killer

Dear Bill,
This is a solitary wasp known as a Cicada Killer, a species that preys upon Cicadas.  This is likely a male, and male wasps are incapable of stinging.  He is likely defending territory against other males in the hope of luring a female into mating and digging a nearby burrow.  Female Cicada Killers are capable of stinging, but they are not aggressive.  We would urge you to abandon your attempts to spray this impressive Cicada Killer.  Normally, we get numerous Cicada Killer identification requests each summer, but this summer your submission is the only one we have received.

Thank you Daniel, for your help.  I will not spray.

Location: Truro, Massachusetts

One Response to First Cicada Killer image of the season

1. Linda says:

My husband and I were visiting the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum in Lincoln MA on July 28th. We encountered this large wasp in large numbers on the property. We enquired about them and were told they are not aggressive but the person we talked to did not know what they were. I must admit the large size had me a little scared. However, I thought they were attractive especially with the red eyes. I took a picture of one so I could research it. It took me a few weeks to get around to it and I came across your website. Very well done and very informative. I learned about and insect I did not know existed! I saved this website in my favorites and I am sure I will visit it again.