Subject: Coraliomela species
Location: Jaragua State Park, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Hi, Bugman! I was searching something I could send, it seems to me that you only have a single request of a Coraliomela leaf beetle. We call it “(falsa) barata-do-coqueiro (false) coconut-tree cockroach. It seems that the common name cockroach is because of the larval stage appearance.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barata-do-coqueiro#mediaviewer/Ficheiro:Coraliomela_sp.jpg
I think it is most like <i>Coralimela aenoplagiata</i>.
Signature: Cesar Crash

Leaf Beetle

Leaf Beetle

Hi Cesar,
Thanks for sending us images of this unusual Leaf Beetle.  The images with your hands as scale are fascinating because we do not have North American Leaf Beetles that attain that size.  According to the Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) page, it is classified as a Tortoise Beetle in the subfamily Cassidinae.

Leaf Beetle

Leaf Beetle

They’re Cassidinae, I don’t know if they can be called turtle beetles, because they’re in the old Hispinae.

Location: Jaragua State Park, Sao Paulo, Brazil

4 Responses to Leaf Beetle from Brazil

1. Osvaldo Di Iorio says:

I would like to know if I can use your photo for a further scientific paper. The species is Corariomela aeneoplagiata.