Subject: Glowworm?
Location: Palo Duro Canyon – near Amarillo Texas
Saw this worm while hiking in Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo Texas last week (7/20/2014). In one picture it appears to be eating a millipede.
Signature: jcochran

Glowworm eats Millipede

Glowworm eats Millipede

Dear jcochran,
Thank you for sending us your excellent documentation of a Glowworm eating a Millipede.  Glowworms, which are the larvae of beetles in the family Phengodidae, are also called Railroad Worms because of the bioluminescence.

Glowworm

Glowworm

Location: Palo Duro Canyon, Amarillo, Texas

One Response to Glowworm preys upon Millipede

1. M Fost says:

I observed a similar event July 07, 2020 at Stone Mountain Park, GA around 6 p.m.
    A millipede, about 2 – 2.5 inches in length was struggling on the ground, with a glow worm larvae latched onto its front end – I couldn’t see there exactly it was holding, or how.
    Sorry, but I interfered, trying to see what was going on. I separated the two, and the millipede crawled sluggishly, while the glow worm actively moved side to side in the area, apparently trying to locate its prey.