Subject: What is this thing?
Location: Little Rock, AR
I found this in my back yard on a hollyhock while taking macro shots of bugs, and no one I know seems to know what it is. Legs of a cricket, body of a fly, wings of a wasp, head (and even mouth part) of any number of true bugs…we’re stumped.
Thanks so much! 🙂
Sincerely,
L.J.
Signature: L.J.

Scentless Plant Bug:  Niesthrea louisianica

Scentless Plant Bug: Niesthrea louisianica

Dear L.J.,
This is probably the finest image we have ever received of the Scentless Plant Bug,
Niesthrea louisianica, which does not have a common name.  According to BugGuide, it:  “Feeds on flower buds and seeds of plants in the Mallow family (Malvaceae), such as Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon.”

Thanks again!  We’re glad to have the mystery solved. 🙂
I have other bugs from all over my back yard I can’t identify, either, and some that I just can’t figure out the variety, if it’s okay to share them. Not because I want to show off the pictures, of course (though I certainly appreciate the compliment on the last one), but to see if y’all can tell me what they are.  I understand if you’re short on time, though. 🙂
Sincerely,
L.J.

Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

One Response to Scentless Plant Bug: Niesthrea louisianica

1. Suzanna says:

These love my velvet-like Mallow leaves!