Subject: Orthoptera
Location: San Diego, north county
We found this cricket-type in Poway, CA I couldn’t find it in my guides. What is it?
Thanks.
Maureen
Signature: Up to you.

Lesser Meadow Katydid, probably

Uniform Shieldback

Hi Maureen,
We have not been able to locate a good match on BugGuide, but we believe that this is a Lesser Meadow Katydid in the genus
Conocephalus.  You cas nee the similarities to this Straight-Lanced Meadow Katydid pictured on BugGuide, though your individual lacks the marking along the head and back.  We will try to get another opinion on this identification.

Lesser Meadow Katydid

Uniform Shieldback

July 19, 2014:  Eric Eaton provides a correction
Hi, Daniel:
I disagree, actually.  This should be a much larger creature than a meadow katydid.  It is one of the shield-backed katydids of which California has a great number of endemic (found only in California) species.  This *might* be Idiostatus aequalis, but I would not put money on it.  Lots of other similar genera even.

Thanks Eric.  According to BugGuide, the common name for Idiostatus aequalis is the Uniform Shieldback.  This BugGuide image looks even closer.

Location: Poway, California