Subject: Some sort of tachnid fly?
Location: Andover, NJ (Sussex Cty)
Hoping you can help me with an id on this small fly. It was about 1/4 inch in length, and was in my flower garden just sitting on a leaf. The eyes make me think it is some sort of fly, maybe in the tachnid family?
Deborah
Signature: Deborah Bifulco

Fly

Bee Fly

Hi Deborah,
You are correct that this is a Fly, but we are not prepared at this time to provide a family identification.  We are posting your image as an Unknown Fly and we hope to be able to provide you with a more specific identification in the future.

Update:  July 19, 2014
Thanks to a comment from Cesar Crash of the Brazilian site Insetologia, we now know that this Bee Fly is
Anthrax argyropygus.  According to BugGuide, it is:  “widespread in United States into Mexico, also Cuba.”

Location: Andover, New Jersey

4 Responses to Bee Fly is Anthrax argyropygus

Thanks Cesar. We combed the Bee Fly images on BugGuide and could not find a match. The wings look like those of several Bee Flies, but the body appears to be shaped differently.